Ask Your Question

Changing YUM/DNF basearch on Raspberry Pi image?

asked 2016-05-02 23:43:28 -0500

rfkrocktk gravatar image

I've followed the installation instructions for Fedora on a Raspberry Pi 2. I downloaded the MATE Desktop image here and verified it with its signature available here, and then copied it over onto my SD card.

I then setup a chroot environment using a static build of QEMU ARM, and was able to successfully chroot into the image. I can execute any ARM binary and connect to the network.

However, I cannot install any packages inside the chroot due to this strange error from dnf:

# dnf update
Error: Failed to synchronize cache for repo 'fedora' from '': Cannot prepare internal mirrorlist: file "repomd.xml" was not found in metalink

If I look at the metalink returned from that URL, there is only an armhfp repository.

As I'm assuming that this is a misconfiguration, is there a way for me to change the basearch variable defined by YUM to be armhfp rather than arm? Is there something else I need to do, something I'm missing?

uname -m reports the architecture:

# uname -m

and file tells me about the compiled files:

# file /bin/bash
/bin/bash: ELF 32-bit LSB shared object, ARM, EABI5 version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, interpreter /lib/, for GNU/Linux 2.6.32, BuildID[sha1]=04f0998ecd3bfaea23bab0223f7ce1f602296085, stripped

I originally posted this at before discovering that there was a dedicated place to ask this.

edit retag flag offensive close merge delete


You just replace $basearch in your yum repository configuration with armhfp and see if that works. I don't know enough about the ARM platform to know if those architectures are equivalent.

larsks gravatar imagelarsks ( 2016-05-03 08:23:12 -0500 )edit

Will do. I'm pretty sure that they're equivalent as that name is present in the image download name.

rfkrocktk gravatar imagerfkrocktk ( 2016-05-03 19:20:19 -0500 )edit

1 Answer

Sort by ยป oldest newest most voted

answered 2016-05-10 22:40:06 -0500

rfkrocktk gravatar image

Based on the input above in the comments, I did a sed replace of $basearch with armhfp and it worked.

edit flag offensive delete link more

Question Tools



Asked: 2016-05-02 23:43:28 -0500

Seen: 392 times

Last updated: May 10 '16